Sunday, March 15, 2009

Being An Example

FHE Lesson Exchange, author unknown

Preparation:
1~ Print out the list of activities from below and cut them into strips. Place them in a zip-lock baggie for the game.

Song:
Come Follow Me CS 114

Scripture:
John 8:12
Mathew 5:16

Lesson:
Read the Story, My Sister, My Example

Based on a true story

When I was about eight years old, I lived in Jamaica. Jamaica can be very hot. I was so excited one day when my aunt invited me to go with her and my cousin to the house of a friend who had a swimming pool. A cool pool on a sunny day sounded great.

My mother said I could go but that I couldn’t swim since she didn’t know who would be there to watch us. I told her I would just put my feet in the pool to get cool.

When I got to the house, my cousin immediately jumped in the pool. Some of our other friends came over and started to swim too. Everyone kept begging me to come in the pool, and finally I gave in. It was so hot outside, and I thought my mom wouldn’t know because my aunt said she wouldn’t tell her.

I knew my aunt was wrong to keep secrets from my mother, but I played with my friends for a while in the pool anyway. I was so scared the whole time about what would happen if my mother knew I had disobeyed her. When we got home, my hair was a little wet, even though I had tried to keep it out of the water. My mom asked me if I had gone swimming, and I lied. I told her no. I felt really bad about it for a really long time, but I didn’t want to get in trouble.

A few years later, when my sister, BriĆ©lan, was seven, she was invited to go to the beach with some friends and their parents. My mom told her the same thing she had told me: go and have fun, but don’t go swimming. When my sister got to the beach, her friends’ parents told her she could go ahead and swim. They wouldn’t tell her mother, so it would be OK.

Even though my sister thought my mom would never know, she told her friends’ parents that she would not go swimming because her mother had asked her not to, and she wanted to be obedient. The grown-ups tried to convince her it was OK, but she still said no because she knew she should do what was right, and they were trying to get her to do something wrong.

My sister’s day at the beach was just as hot as mine at the pool, and she wanted to swim just as badly as I did. But my little sister became my big example when she chose to honor our parents by obeying them.

When my mom told me this story about my sister, I told her how I had lied to her. She was thankful that I finally told her the truth. She was very proud of my little sister, who had chosen to obey her, and so was I.

Talk with your children about being a good example to others. Explain what the blessings can be when you do what is right.

Activity:
Play the game "Drama or Draw".
To play: divide into two teams, sitting across from each other. Take turns drawing a word strip from the bad and read it silently. Option One~ DRAMA. Act out the activity. Option Two~ DRAW. Draw the activity. The first team to guess wins a point for their team. Play until the wordstrips run out.

Drama or Draw List
Go to church
Drive reckless
Read the scriptures
Rollerblade across your neighbors yard
Spend tithing money
Do the dishes
Swear
Eat healthy foods
Pay extra on parent’s fast offerings
Be nice to everyone
Share a candy bar
Shovel snow for your neighbor
Pay tithing
Share your testimony
Contribute to the missionary fund
Keep your room clean
Gossip
Read to children
Borrow a pair of sunglasses and won’t return them
Be kind to others
Walk the dog
Do homework
Visit the sick
Watching a bad television show
Dress immodestly
Skip School
Study for a hard test
Smoke
Dress modestly

Treat:
Flap Jacks ~Alisha's recipe~
1 cup Butter (not margarine)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
4 Tablespoons Golden Syrup or Honey
2 cups oats

Melt the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup or honey together. Add oats and pour into an 8x8" pan bake at 350 for 50 - 55 minutes. Let cool for at least an hour before serving as it will be extremely hot! I sometimes melt chocolate and pour it over the top. Or alot of times I will chop up some of my favorite nuts and add them as well as some dried fruit. Berries are the best in my opinion! Plus with the fruit and nuts it is definitely more healthy. These are delish!!

4 comments:

Lee said...

I still totally love your blog. Every week I look at it for new ideas. FHE is so hard with small children and you make it look so easy! I hope that everyone enjoys my flapjack recipe. It is so Yummy! Well I guess I would think that wouldnt I?!?! Since I put it on www.homemakinghoneys.blogspot.com quiet a few people have emailed me about it. I love British Flapjacks so Yummy.

Lee said...

oh whoops this is Alisha I didnt realise I was signed in under my husbands name Whoops! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found this blog! Thank you for your great ideas. I have a question about the game... are there supposed to be two baggies of word strips "bad" and "good"?

And what kind of oats do you recommend? Old fashioned or quick cooking?

Anonymous said...

I think in the game instructions the word should be Bag not Bad.